Saturday, November 11, 2023

THE WOMAN IN THE ONE STOP

 So I was walking back from our local One Stop with a loaf of best of both and a tin of beans when I became aware that the woman who'd been behind me in the queue was coming up behind me on the pavement.

I'm not a fast walker.

I moved to one side of the pavement to let her pass, aware that there'd be that awkward moment when we'd be two-abreast and might feel the need to say something like; "It's going to rain any minute isn't it?"

But she glided past. Then slowed. She was about my age and size, but wearing fancy trainers the like of which I couldn't pull off.

"Love your trainers." I said.

"Thank you!" she replied, then;

"How's your eldest son? Only he used to hang around with our Abigail when they were younger."

"Oh," I replied, slightly taken aback that she knew me and I honestly couldn't remember her.

I asked after Abigail, who's doing well, she asked about our dog.

Then she got down to it, asking;

"Are you still in fostering?"

We chatted. About fostering.

It turned out she had retired from teaching, her children had flown the nest, and she was thinking about fostering. But didn't know where to start. Not only that, she was worried whether she'd be up to it.

I assured her that, if she apprached Blue Sky, they'd take it from there. She wouldn't have to worry whether she had what it takes; Blue Sky would know, plus they'd prepare her, and match her strengths to the child they placed with her. 

I also told her it's not a ball and chain, Carers can take a break whenever they need to.

I didn't pressure her, she'd already said she knew where I live, so I suggested she give it some more thought, chat it over with her family, and if she decided to take it a stage further to come round and have a chat.

It seemed to me, at first sight, that she was perfect for fostering.

Shame that someone such as her, with so many obvious credentials for the job, should waver.

She hasn't turned up at our house yet, but then it's only been a couple of days.

As I walked home something struck me.

It was a lucky opportunity for her to have a conversation about fostering, finding herself behind me in the One Stop queue. 

Maybe she'd been itching to talk to me about fostering for a long time, maybe even years and years.

One of the main reasons the UK is short of fostering folk is down to prospective Carers being shy of their skills, modest of their capabilities and in fear of failure. Yes, fostering can be hard at times. But Carers have a huge team of professionals at their back supporting, advising, helping in every way.

And then there's the simple truth that Carers like myself, who love fostering to bits for all its challenges, don't bang the drum often enough. 

If anything I keep my fostering to myself.

But there are so many children right now in need of a safe place where they can repair themselves, I decided there and then I would speak out about the joys and benefits of fostering more often.

Something which will be easy for me to do, as it's truly the best thing I've ever done.

3 comments:

  1. Hi SFC

    I had a "fostering moment" today that I wanted to share (trying to keep this as non-specific/identifying as possible!). Some of the beautiful kids in our care were granted permanency this week, after being with us a very long time. We let them know - such huge news - and one of their reactions took my breathe away. She threw herself at me, clung to me and just said "thank you" and we cried together. My goodness!

    This is huge news - something they had all asked for and hoped for - but we know that it will bring up lots of feelings, including grief and loss (not necessarily for their mum as she is, but as how they'd like her to be).

    Reunification is always the goal, but sometimes that's not safe or otherwise possible. We are overjoyed and so relieved to be a forever family, but fostering is never black and white - it's always in the shades of grey!

    x L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much L for sharing; made my day. I carry the picture of you shedding tears of joy, what a beautiful moment. Permanancy is a big shiny badge for all concerned. I hope you know right down to your marrow what a great job you're doing. Think about it; in a thousand years time there'll be heaps of people all of whom are happier and better adjusted thanks to the work you're doing now; the decendents of the kids you are mending.
    My best possible regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your knowledge in such a clear and concise manner.

    ReplyDelete