Saturday, May 27, 2023

MAKING SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING

 Fostering is a road paved with little dramas.

I remember learning in school of a UK Prime Minister who was asked what's the hardest thing to deal with. The expected answer was "the economy" or "foreign affairs". No. He replied "Events dear boy, events".

In other words the things that happen that weren't planned. Then suddenly there they are in your lap and you have to make up your own solutions.

This happened;

Late one Friday night we heard a plaintive moan coming from the kitchen downstairs.

There it was again, this time lower in tone. Then it came again, this time on its way to being a sob.

Steeling myself I put on my dressing gown and walked slowly down the stairs. I walked slowly so as not to exacerbate any emotion or crisis.

She was standing by the kitchen table holding the vanity mirror from her room. Laid out on the table was the zip-up case for our electric hair clippers, which I keep in a kitchen drawer. In a small pile next to it was all the different heads. The shorter each head's comb length, the closer the cut. The clippers were in her other hand. She was trying to see the back of her head with the mirror.

"No!" she said "Don't come any closer!"

"Everything alright?" I asked, as neutrally as I could manage. Inside I was fully charged, but I couldn't see any blood (always a good thing…). Nor did it look as though she'd had an electric shock. I know it's daft, but all these things go through your head don't they?

"No! Everything's NOT alright."

"What is it?"

"I wanted to take a bit off my hair at the back…"

"Oh"

"Only I put on the wrong head…"

"Ah"

"Let me see."

"No! Stay back! I don't want anyone to see me like this!"

It seems she'd run an avenue from the nape of her neck almost to the crown. Right down to the scalp.

Ike.

OK it wasn't life threatening, but to a self-conscious young teenager it was worse than a disaster.

We rallied round. First job was to calm her down. We had the remainder of Friday evening and two working days to decide what to do before school. The options came think and fast, as did the rejections of the options.

Could she get dispensation to wear a beanie hat? No, she'd be a laughing stock.

Could we buy a piece or get extensions? No, not in time, and anyway they'd not match.

Could she be excused school until the new hair camouflaged the skinhead bit? No, that would take at least three or four weeks.

Could she shape the rest of her hair to make the bare bit look part of a brave design. No, not without looking like Britney Spears, which apparently no-one wants nowadays.

Then we started to get somewhere; I'd heard about two products on sale mainly for men, one that shades the skin to look like it's got hair.  Another that comes in a spray can that amounts to artificial hair.

I'm not a huge fan of Amazon, but sometimes it's brilliant.  The stuff was with us in time to spend Sunday afternoon experimenting. The two of us got stuck into the make-over to the point where she felt it worked.

And so it did. On Monday she confided in her best friend who was therefore in on the disaster. The best friend said she couldn't tell the difference; "Your mum's a genius."

Emboldened she let her peer group in on her secret. Word somehow got out, and blow me down she became the school's star turn for a week. Even teachers asked if they could have an admiring look at it. She ended up enjoying playing the "I can be stupid too" card, that can be a credential among peers. She is far from stupid, but getting good exam grades is less of a credential in the playground than having a doofus moment, and being able to laugh at yourself.

In the end it turned out to be a great event in both our lives, brought us closer.

Events don't always work out in fostering, goodness knows. But when they do it doesn't half put a spring in one's step.





5 comments:

  1. I'm desperate for some advice. I just passed panel for fostering and was given a little 9yo girl for short term fostering. I'm single and have no children or child experience and essentially, I'm so overwhelmed I'm fighting back tears. It's not the girl's fault at all, but I feel like I absolutely cannot do this. It's like gut instinct, not anxiety or fear that might go away. Like nothing theoretical prepared me for this feeling and everyone is going to think I'm such a failure if I admit to this. I've told my social worker and she said to take it day by day, but every day feels more of the same for me - like, hell no, what have I done? It's such an awful thing to even think, and I feel so much guilt about it. I'm being uber careful to not let the child see it, and engaging her in activities and being normal, but at night I'm literally crying myself to sleep. My assessing social worker thought I should have started with respite and now I wish I'd blood listened. It feels like it's too late to back out now, because the girl likes her room and the stuff in it and it feels so damn mean to take that away, but aren't I doing more harm than good by trying to do something I feel is just not for me? I'm trying to give it a chance, but at what point do you say, no actually, fostering isn't for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the delay, I've been away for a couple of days.
    I'll see what I can do. Are you with an agency or a local authority? BTW, my first placement was also a shock to the system.
    Have you a rough date for the child moving on? I note it's a short term placement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That you for getting back to me! I'm with an agency - they've all been really great, but everyone just thinks its a hiccup and all normal. The thing is, I just know myself really well, and I don't think I want to do this. I can do it, but I'm not enjoying it at all and that's not fair on children if I can't summon any enthusiasm. No rough date for a move on, but there's a meeting on Friday that I'm going to use to push for a date. I can't see me coping come the holidays as she needs attention 24/7 and I work full time from home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again. Thank you for thanking me, I'm privileged you approached me. It might be a good time to take a look at positives. The simple act of putting yourself forward to foster a) takes courage and b) shows a good heart.Those are two big things.
    But the thing I'd ask you to think about most is this; your agency clearly, VERY clearly, judge you to have high calibre, huge potential. You are clearly a very self-aware person, and that's so important in life. And in fostering. But when things pile up it's easy to let our perceptions blur.
    In the clear light of day, maybe a while after you get your home back to yourself, you deserve to feel good about yourself. Because a bunch of professionals rate you very highly.
    I do too.
    The poor dear girl might be your only ever placement. Or she might simply be your first.
    I was reading a biography of an enigmatic tennis player called Stan. He's won a couple of majors although most experts agree he's the most ordinary grand slam winner for a long time.
    He has this tattoed somewhere only he can see it;
    "Try. Fail. Try again. Fail better/"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Anon! I am so sorry you're finding it such tough going. I can fully sympathise and echo what the SFC says - those first weeks are OVERWHELMING.

    If it helps you are not alone in how you feel, I felt much the same. When our first placement had been with us for about a week I can remember sitting on the bathroom floor (the only place I felt I had any privacy) and crying my eyes out wondering what the heck I had done and how I could get out of it without damaging the kids further. It was hard work, no fun, no joy and I hated it. I did not take it day by day - it was hour by hour, step by baby step. And it got better, much better. And then sometimes it was horrible and hard work and no fun at all, and sometimes it was only ok and we were hanging on, but mostly it was just lovely and became our normal.

    Evenually I became forever mum to that placement, as they have no contact with birth family. One day when they had really pushed my buttons I felt I’d done very badly and said “Sorry, I’m not doing very good at Mom-ing today”, kiddo replied “don’t say that, you’re the best mom I’ve ever had”. The bar was that low that my worst was still their best. That stuck with me, and when I feel I’ve failed or its all awful, I remember that. It helps me keep going. I hope it might help frame things for you too.

    I hope things are going better, that you’re finding a support network, and a routine that works for you. But if you haven’t and the placement is ending there is no judgement here either. Sending you my very best wishes.

    ReplyDelete